Happy New Year!
Last week, as most of House District 61 was enjoying the recent flurry of snowfall, members of the 71st Colorado General Assembly met in Denver for our first day of the 2017 Legislative Session.
After being sworn in by Chief Justice Rice, leadership from both parties addressed the chamber and established their priorities, which will set this year’s legislative agenda.
House Speaker Crisanta Duran’s compelling speech highlighted the need for construction defects reform, a comprehensive statewide plan to upgrade Colorado’s overburdened transportation system, a need to address mounting issues in education funding, and a long term solution to the state’s budgeting problems. Her speech ended with an appeal to the chamber and all Coloradans to help ensure that Colorado remains an inclusive state, where the bullying of people because of their gender, race, religion, nationality, or sexual orientation is not tolerated.
Some of my legislative priorities for 2017 include addressing the cost of health insurance in the western areas of Colorado, increasing equity and adequacy in the way we fund our public schools, protecting our environment and public lands, and ensuring that the state can continue to balance the budget in years to come by addressing some of the constraints we currently face.
As always, please contact my office with any suggestions or input regarding any issues you wish to discuss.
Hosted by Conservation Colorado, Rep. Millie Hamner, Rep. Barbara McLachlan, Sen. Kerry Donovan, Gunnison County Commissioner Jonathan Houck
- When: Saturday, February 4th from 1:00p to 3:00pm
- Where: Quigley Hall, Western State Colorado University (600 N. Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231)
- Event Partners: High Country Conservation Advocates (HCCA), Gunnison Public Lands Initiative (GPLI), Western State Colorado University, Masters in Environmental Management (MEM)
- Contact Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 719-322-7050 with any questions.
- When: Saturday, January 28th from 9:00am to 10:00am
- Where: City on a Hill Coffee and Espresso (508 Harrison Ave #3, Leadville, CO 80461)
- Contact Phil at email@example.com or 303-866-2952 with any questions.
I hope you have a wonderful month!